12.29.2009

Day 289

Sat next to a girl on the plane today, on my way back to Boston. Think Miley Cirus in a few years, in her first year of law school.

She asked me if I'm in school but I explained that I'm semi-retired and dipping my feet into various...uh...things. WHOA THAT'S SO COOL she exclaimed in a deep raspy excited voice only Billy Ray could appreciate. When I asked her what she did, she told me she's in her first year of law school but it's not going as she planned and she's not sure if that's the career for her.

The expert career changer I've become, I told her that having a law degree doesn't mean you have to practice law. And once she's done, if she gives it a whirl and hates it, then she can just try something new. She said, yeah, you're right. But that would be a waste of time and money. 

Is it?? I kind of disagree. Pursuing one interest can lead to other interests that you didn't know you had. And it could make you more appealing to prospects in a way you hadn't imagined. The wine shop I work at wasn't hiring and I know ZERO anything about wine but she thought my advertising/writing background could be an asset to the store so she hired me. 

So I told Miley not to worry about law being right, but to just keep an open mind about how to use what she learned. 

Then she said, well I do want to make a lot of money, but I'm a babysitter right now and I baby-sit for all these super rich moms that don't work, and don't really watch their kids, because I do that part, and then I think now THAT is awesome. Sometimes I just want to marry someone really rich and be a housewife. But you can't really plan that. It just has to happen. So for now I guess I'll just finish law school.


No comments:

Post a Comment