12.09.2009

Day 271

After wasting 9 solid hours of my life at my real job, I went to work at the wine shop. I usually only work Friday nights now unless we have a special event. Tonight was our Tuscan Abbondanza. To be honest, I didn't feel like going. My jacket was still wet from the devil rain this morning that killed my very last umbrella and so were my socks. I just wanted to go home. But then I get there and I don't know what it is about being behind a counter and shooting the shizz with strangers and acquaintances, but I live for it. Today was especially great. Usually I leave after the tastings, because I'm a dork and always anxious to get home at the end of a long day, but tonight I stayed. Buzzed off Sangiovese and olives, we all sat around finishing the remaining juice from the night talking marinara recipes and roast beast and rock and roll and other stuff that doesn't matter. And I just had one of those weird moments when you realize you got something you really wanted. How many times did I pass by this wine shop on my way to my "real" job wishing I was going to work there instead. How many times did I see the people inside hanging out, drinking wine in the middle of the day in that tiny Italian hole in the wall and wish I could go inside and play. And now I do. And now those people are my friends and the neighborhood feels a little smaller and more personal and my own. For the first time in my post-college career, I work a place I genuinely care about. I'm down to a few hours a week now but those few hours remind me that that is how work should feel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment